Engineering - Palo Alto, CA, United States
Flipboard, the world's first social magazine, is hiring!
Headed by Mike McCue, former CEO of Tellme, and Evan Doll, former Senior iPhone Engineer at Apple, Flipboard is on a quest to transform how people discover, view and share content by combining the beauty and ease of print with the power of social media.
Flipboard has raised $60.5 million from legendary investors Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byer, Index Ventures, and Insight Venture Partners as well as media innovators including Jack Dorsey co-founder of Twitter, Dustin Moskovitz co-founder of Facebook, Ashton Kutcher, and The Chernin Group.
Operations Enigneer - Contractor Responsibilities
• Ensure the reliable operation of our large scale services built using open source technologies including MySQL, Hadoop, HAProxy and Linux.
• Build operational automation and developer tools for our analytic environment
• Troubleshoot, remedy, and deploy solutions for operational issues
• Participate in the research, design, and implementation of new technologies for scaling our growing data sets and processing pipelines
• work must be done on-site at Flipboard in Palo Alto, CA
Ideal Skills, Experience and Qualities
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills in a Linux environment
• Fluent with advanced shell scripting plus another scripting language such as Python, Ruby, or Perl.
• Experience installing and operating Linux or UNIX servers and applications in a 24/7 production environment
• Familiarity with relational databases such as MySQL
• Experience with performance tuning and system load monitoring and diagnostics
• Organized, good attention to details, and able to work independently
• Understanding of fundamental data structures and algorithms
• Comfortable in a fast-paced operations environment with frequent interruptions
• Strong written and verbal communications in English
• BS in Computer Science or related technical field
Bonus Points for:
• Familiarity with ETL goals such as data management and data quality
• Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet or Chef