Last Updated on March 26, 2013
Information We Collect
- Registration Information. If you sign up for a Flipboard Account, we ask you to provide us with personal information, such as your name, username, password, photo and email address. We may also ask you to personalize your user experience with other information such as your location, and your individual preferences. This information collectively is referred to as “Registration Information.” Some of this information, for example, your name and username, will be listed publicly on our Services, including in search results.
- User IDs and Device IDs. When you install the Flipboard Application, we create a unique identification number associated with that installation of the software (“User ID”). If you are using an older version of the Flipboard Application (pre-v. 1.8.4), we may collect and store a unique device ID associated with your particular device (“Device ID”). If you have a Flipboard Account, we will associate your User ID or your Device ID with your Registration Information.
- Usage Information. We also collect information about how you use our Services, including how you view and interact with content and advertisements, the parts of our Services that you use, information you search for, content that you view, and actions you take such as uploading photos, flipping or liking content, creating magazines or posting comments.
- Log Data. When you use our Services, we automatically record information about your use (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s or mobile device’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, access times and dates and other statistics.
- Information Regarding Your Social Networking Services (“SNSs”). As a Flipboard user, you can interact with and use SNSs, such as Facebook and Twitter. To do so, you must provide Flipboard with your account credentials (typically username and password) for an SNS. Flipboard will retain those credentials, keep them private and use them to enable your access to the SNS. When you choose to access an SNS via the Services, Flipboard may collect from the SNS your address, gender, user ID, list of friends and any information you’ve chosen to make public through the SNS. Depending on the SNS you choose to utilize via the Services and in accordance with the privacy settings you have set in your SNS account, you can post information to your SNS account via the Services, and information you have posted to an SNS will be available via the Services. For example, via the Flipboard Application you can access and log in to your Facebook account by entering your Facebook account credentials through “Facebook Connect” and interact with your Facebook account via Flipboard. We encourage you to read the privacy policies and other statements of the SNSs you use. You can disable the connection between your Flipboard Application and an SNS you’ve chosen to access at any time via the “Accounts” section of the “Content Guide.”
- Surveys and Promotions. From time to time, we may provide you the opportunity to participate in surveys, contests or sweepstakes via our Services. If you participate, we may request certain additional information from you.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- We use information we collect, including your Registration Information, User ID and Device ID, information from your use of our Services and SNSs and information from surveys and promotions to provide and improve our Services, develop new offerings and enhance and personalize your experience on Flipboard, including the content and advertising that you see.
- We may use your Registration Information to send you important messages regarding the Services, as well as marketing materials that we think may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in those communications.
Disclosure of the Information We Collect
- Information You Share. While you can use Flipboard privately, we encourage you to share your interests, preferences and thoughts with others, and our Services are designed to enable that sharing. That means that in most cases, the actions you take on the Services, will be viewable by other users. When you create a Flipboard Account, your username and photo, the content you like or include in a magazine, and comments that you post will all be public by default.
- With Your Consent. We may disclose any information we collect with third parties when we receive your consent to do so.
- Non-Private or Non-Personal Information. We may disclose aggregated and non-personally identifiable information that we collect. Any such disclosure will not include non-public, personal information regarding individual users.
- Services Providers. We employ third parties to assist us in providing and improving the Services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance, database management and web analytics companies). If these third parties receive non-public, personal information about you, they will be obligated not to disclose or use it for any purpose other than to perform tasks on our behalf.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Flipboard cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Flipboard or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person or to prevent or restrict what we consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Share-With-A-FriendSubject to the privacy settings you have set in your SNS account, through the Services you can email a friend and share certain SNS content or other materials. If you use this aspect of our Services we will ask you for your friend’s name, email address and/or SNS username (collectively “Friend Information”). We will automatically send your friend a one-time email. Flipboard stores Friend Information for the purpose of sending such emails. Friends may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database.
Cookies & Other TechnologiesOur services may use “cookies” to collect information. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer’s hard disk for record-keeping purposes. We may use “persistent cookies” to save your username and login password for future logins to the Services. We also may use “session ID cookies” to enable certain features of the Services or to better understand how you interact with the Services. You can instruct your web browser to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting certain or all cookies. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all aspects of the Services.
Cookies placed on your device or computer by Flipboard or any third party site or service that you may access through the Services may remain stored on your device or computer until you remove them.
We may also use “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs” or similar means (individually or collectively “Pixel Tags”) in connection with our Services to collect usage, demographic and geographical location data. A Pixel Tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel, that is ordinarily not visible to users and may be associated with cookies on a user’s hard drive. Pixel Tags allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the Site, to deliver branded services and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns.
Changing or Deleting Your Account
You may email us at email@example.com with a request that we delete your Flipboard Account. Accounts are terminated promptly and, absent extenuating circumstances, we will honor your request and delete your account information in no more than 45 days. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or as necessary for the protection of the rights of Flipboard or its users.
For instructions on changing any of your privacy preferences, accessing your information, updating your information or for any privacy or data-protection-related questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with any personally identifiable information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with any personally identifiable information, we will delete such information and the child’s account.
Flipboard employs reasonable physical, technological and administrative security measures to protect the information it collects. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we use commercially acceptable means to protect the information we collect, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.If Flipboard learns of a security breach that results in the unauthorized disclosure of your Registration Information, we may attempt to notify you electronically through the Services so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Flipboard may also send an e-mail to you at the e-mail address you have provided to us for a notification pursuant to this paragraph. If you wish to receive written (non-electronic) notice of any security breach, please send a request for such notice, including your physical address, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PhishingIdentity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Flipboard. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your account ID, login password or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication.
Links to Other SitesOur Services contains links to other websites and online services. If you choose to visit a third party service or an advertiser by “clicking on” a third party link, you will be directed to that third party’s website or online service. The fact that we link to a website, content or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites and services you use. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services.