- Set up your Flipboard account
- Connect to Social Networks
- Customize Your Flipboard
- Explore with Search
- Create Magazines
- Troubleshooting Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I want a Flipboard Account?
A Flipboard 2.0 account allows you to create and manage your own magazines.
With a Flipboard Account you can also access your Flipboard on any shared device. When you sign in, you’ll have all of your favorite sections and saved settings instantly available. Creating a Flipboard Account also gives you access to All Timelines, a single section containing all the articles and photos shared across all your social networks.
- Create a Flipboard Account
To create an account, you must first be in the Flipboard app. We do not support account creation on the web at this time.
Once you have Flipboard installed and completed the initial setup step, tap the red ribbon in the upper right corner to open the Content Guide, then “My Flipboard” and select “Create.”
The best way to bring all your Flipboard content from one device to another is to create a Flipboard Account on your primary device first. This way, when you sign in on your new device all your Flipboard content will be there.
- I don’t see a “red ribbon”
You may be on the first time setup screen.
If you are on the first time setup screen with "Welcome to Flipboard" and "Existing Account?" as your options, swipe to continue and go through the steps to setup your Flipboard. Now you can use Flipboard and you can create an account. If you’re already on the "Sign In" screen, you’ll have to Cancel to go back to the welcome screen to continue.
Note, we do not support account creation on the web at this time. You can create an account inside the Flipboard app.
- Managing Your Account
Account management tools allow you to recover your username and change your password and email. Now with version 2.0 it is also possible to delete your account in the Account Management Tools.
If you would like to access your account management tools and you are not logged into your account, go to Sign In, then tap “Need Help?” beneath the password text entry box.
If you are already logged in, tap the red ribbon and go to your Account, tap “Edit Account,” then “More Settings.”
- Questions About Your Account
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further assistance with your Flipboard account.
- Add More Content
You can add more to your Flipboard using the Content Guide. Tap the red ribbon in the top right to open the Content Guide. Explore the categories of suggested content and tap "+Subscribe" in the top left corner to add it as a section.
You can also use the Search box at the top to discover even more great content to add.
- Layout Your Flipboard
To remove sections, tap and hold the section tile for a few seconds and it will go into edit mode. Then tap the "X" to remove it.
While in edit mode, you can also tap and hold, then drag the tiles to different locations to reorganize your Flipboard. To move tiles to another page, just hold the tile off to the side for a few seconds, the page will turn, and you can place it on the next page.You can also manage all your sections from the Content Guide. Tap the red ribbon, then Your Flipboard, and tap "Edit". Now you can move sections around and remove them.
- Mute Authors
You can also Mute Authors on Flipboard. Just tap an article from the source. Then tap on their name / profile picture in the lower left corner and select Mute Author. This will remove their posts from your Flipboard.
You can manage your Muted Authors in Settings, just tap the gear icon in the lower right corner of your Flipboard.Note, it is not currently possible to mute RSS sources. This is functionality we are working on adding soon.
- Flag Inappropriate
Help us cultivate a healthy community. If you should ever see inappropriate content on Flipboard, you can tap and hold the item, then select “Flag Inappropriate” – this will immediately remove the unwanted image from your Flipboard. It will also report it to us for review.
To flag an article, open the item, tap the Share button and select Flag Inappropriate.
For more information please see our Community Guidelines.
- Use Search to Find More Great Content
Open the Content Guide and tap the search bar. Type in any person, blog or topic, you’ll get results from across the social web. Then tap on the results to browse anything from related Twitter lists to Instagram photos.
For example, you can search for the topic “Flipboard” to see all results for a topic, or if you want to search for a specific Twitter feed by name, type in “@Flipboard” to find the feed directly. You can find Twitter lists by typing “@Name/List_Name” and so on. You can even search by hashtags, like #Flipboard.Search is a very useful tool to expand the content on your Flipboard to better suit your personal preferences. Tap subscribe at the top left of the section to add it to your Flipboard. Fill Flipboard with the content most important to you.
- Discover Great RSS Feeds
You can use the Google Reader* service to access RSS and then read and interact with your feeds in Flipboard.
You can also use the Search feature to find any RSS feed by name, or RSS URL. When searching by RSS link, be sure to include “http://” at the start of the link, just like in a browser.
*Google is retiring the Google Reader service on July 1, 2013. You will be able to continue to read your Google Reader feeds on Flipboard. Read more on our blog, Inside Flipboard.
- Create Your Own Sections with Twitter Lists
To create and maintain a Twitter list, visit your account on twitter.com.
Once you have created your list, you can add it to your Flipboard. Just open the Content Guide and use the search bar to find it by name. To find it directly, search for “@Name/List_Name”
- What is a Magazine?
A magazine is a section you create on a topic you care about or want to follow. You can easily add new content to a magazine while you use Flipboard.
Magazines can either be public or private. Private magazines can only be seen by you on your Flipboard. Public magazines can be seen by everyone, so please be considerate about what you share in a public magazine. Your mother, your boss, and your 9 year-old niece may see what you share in your magazines.
- How do I create a Magazine?
When you find an article, photo, or post that is on the topic of the magazine you would like to create, tap the “+” button to add to a magazine. You will then be prompted to create a magazine. Select “Create Magazine” to start a new magazine; give it a name, a description and a category, and then your content will be placed in the magazine.
Please read our Community Guidelines to learn more about what is acceptable content for magazines.
- How do I make a magazine private?
There are two ways to make a magazine private (viewable only to you). To create a new private magazine, tap the "+" sign on an item, then "Create Magazine." At the bottom of the window you'll have the option to toggle "Let everyone see my magazine" to "Off."
If you've already created a public magazine and would like to switch it to private, go to the magazine's cover page and tap the "Edit" button located under your name. Tap "Edit Magazine" and at the bottom of the window toggle "Let everyone see my magazine" to "Off."
- How do I add and remove content for my magazines?
As you continue to come across content you think would be a great fit for your magazines, tap the “+” button to add it. You will be prompted for which magazine you would like to add it to, select the magazine you want, and the content will be added. Keep adding content to keep your magazine fresh.
You can remove items while browsing your magazine. Tap and hold on the item to bring up the action menu, tap "Remove." You can also tap to open the item, then go to the Share button on the bottom right to "Remove."
- Use the Bookmarklet
- Use the new bookmarklet to add content to your magazines from web browsers. Once you have the bookmarklet installed, you can add content from around the web to your magazines with one easy click.
- Create beautiful Covers
- You can make beautiful covers for your magazines. Open an item in your magazine, tap the share icon at the bottom right and choose Promote to Cover. This will set the image as the cover of your magazine. Try different images until you find one you love, and remember you can always set a new one to keep your magazine fresh and interesting.
- Edit the title, description and category of your magazines
- Go to the cover of the magazine you wish to edit, tap "Edit" under your name, then "Edit Magazine" and you can make changes to your magazine details. You can change the title of your magazine, edit the description, and set a category for your magazine. This category helps your magazine appear in search results and recommendations.
- Share your magazines
Go to the magazine cover and there is a Share button under your name. You can email your magazine or share to your social networks.
This will send a smart link to your magazine that will open your magazine in Flipboard if the link is accessed on a device that has Flipboard installed. If Flipboard is not installed, the person viewing the link will be directed to a landing page on the web for a preview of your magazine.
- How do I add my own content to my magazine?
You can add your own content to your magazines. Share your content to a social network like Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and so on, then you will be able to access your own posts and add them to your magazine just like any other section on Flipboard.
To directly access your personal posts, tap the red ribbon, go to Accounts, then open the account you are using. Here you will find Your Tweets for Twitter, Your Timeline for Facebook, Your Public Posts on Google+ and so on.
- How do I change my name on my Magazines?
- Your magazines use your Full Name in your Flipboard Account, which you can edit any time in your Profile Settings. Tap the red ribbon, go to My Flipboard, then tap the gear icon in the top right, and select “Edit Profile.”
- Quit and Restart
This is a great first step to resolving a wide variety of issues on Flipboard, or any app. Try this first if you are seeing poor performance, old content, no content, and so on.
If you are on iPhone or iPad:Restart your device by holding down the power button, swipe to power off. Turn back on and try Flipboard again. Allow the initial content load to complete before opening any sections. You'll see the spinners going while the update processes.
Quit out of multitasking. To do so, press the home button on your device twice, this will bring up a bar at the bottom of the screen with the icons of all active apps. Tap and hold any icon until a "-" appears in the top left corner. Tap "-" on your Flipboard to exit.
If you are on Android:
Open the Application Manager on your device, accept Flipboard, then clear the data and force stop to quit the app. Restart your device by holding down the power button. Try Flipboard again. Allow the initial content load to complete before opening any sections. You'll see the spinners going while the update processes.
- Can’t like items or comment on Facebook
This is likely due to the permissions settings. Remove and re-add your Facebook section. Tap and hold the section tile for a few seconds and it will go into edit mode. Then tap the"X" to remove it.
To add it again, tap the red ribbon, go to Accounts, then Facebook and log in. Accept all the permissions. This will allow you to like, comment, and post.We never spam your feeds or friends. Your permission is required to carry out a variety of actions initiated by you, such as posting an article to your Facebook Wall or @replying on Twitter. In other words, if you write a status update in Flipboard to post on Facebook, for example, we would post this “on your behalf” to Facebook.
- Email Sharing does Not Work
- Go to Settings on your device (not in Flipboard), then Mail, and confirm your settings are correct. You may also re-input your passwords just to be sure they are working and to cause a re-connect to your mail service. This should remedy any issues with email in Flipboard.
- iOS Twitter Login Issues
- Go to Settings on your device (not in Flipboard), then Twitter. Make sure the log in information for your Twitter account(s) is correct here by logging out and logging back in. Then try logging in to Twitter on Flipboard again.
- How is Cover Stories generated?
- The Cover Stories feature in Flipboard is algorithmically generated from the content on your Flipboard and your social behavior. It is not editorially selected by our team.
- How do I log in to a Read Later service?
Tap the gear icon in the bottom right corner of your main Flipboard page to open Settings. Go to Read Later and select which service you would like to log into, Pocket, Instapaper, or Readability.
If you do not already have an account for one of these services, it is easy and free to create an account on the website for each service. Sign in using your user name and password for your read later account, not your Flipboard account.Note, we only support having one Read Later account active at a time.
- How do I change the font size?
- Tap the gear icon in the lower right corner of your main Flipboard page to open Settings. Tap “Text Size” to adjust the font size.
- How do I change language back to English?
- Go to Settings on your device, General, then International. Change your Language to English and your Region Format to United States.
- How do I uninstall Flipboard from my Samsung Device?
Flipboard is a pre-installed application on the Galaxy S3 and Note, so it is treated like any other native app from Samsung.
You cannot completely remove pre-installed applications, but you can disable them. Disabling makes it so the app never runs or uses memory, and it doesn't show up in your launcher anymore.You can disable apps from the Android settings, in Application manager.
- Can I be a Beta Tester?
- Thanks for your interest in being a beta tester for Flipboard. We're not currently in a beta test phase. To be added to the list for future beta testing, please send us an email to: email@example.com
- How do I publish my content on Flipboard?
Your content is already viewable on Flipboard. You can tell your followers to tap the red ribbon, type your publication’s name, Twitter handle or RSS feed URL into the search box and it will show up in the results. Tap the “+” sign to add it to your Flipboard.
If you’re interested in optimizing your publication for Flipboard, please submit your info to flipboard.com/publishers/partners by clicking “Apply.” Please allow a few weeks for our team to process and get in touch with you.